May 14, 2015
The donation was in honor of their mother, the late Arlene Klatt, Fort Atkinson. Arlene was very active in the hospital Auxiliary in the 1950’s – 1970’s. She was elected and served as president of the Auxiliary in 1958 and 1959. The hospital coffee shop and candy striper program became a reality due in part to Arlene’s efforts as a hospital volunteer leader. Arlene was married to the late Gus Klatt, who was also a volunteer at the hospital and was a dedicated community leader in Fort Atkinson for many years.
The new wheelchair will be used primarily by the hospital’s transport staff to transfer patients in between departments for various tests and procedures. The design of the wheelchair will help reduce potential back and other injuries due to less strain from pushing and pulling and less bending for the transport staff.
The wheelchair was designed by Michael Graves, an American architect who became wheelchair bound; and then became determined to find better mobility solutions for patient, caregivers and medical staff.
Pictured in front is: Klatt’s great granddaughter Harper Delie sitting in the new wheelchair.
Back Left: Bob Smith, Fort HealthCare Partners President, Arlene’s son, Ron Klatt, granddaughter Heather Delie, and daughter-in-law Lynette Klatt.
Not pictured but also contributing to the donation are Arlene’s other children Amanda and Aaron Klatt.