For pediatric bladder and bowel dysfunction diagnoses, physical therapy treatments may include the following:
- Comprehensive education for the child and their caregivers
- Dietary modifications, including proper fiber and fluid intake
- Teaching self-awareness and reducing dysfunctional voiding habits
- Biofeedback therapy using computer games to help your child locate the muscles used to control release of stool or urine. He or she can learn to relax these muscles at the right time.
- Bladder and bowel retraining to help your child change his or her bathroom patterns. It may include emptying the bladder more regularly (timed voiding).
- Exercises to help improve strength and/or flexibility