Rock The Walk 2021 Week 6: The Wrap-up!
Hey everyone! Happy Rock the Walk WEEK 6!!! WOOHOO!!!! You’ve made it to the end, and you have just a few short days left of the challenge. Keep pushing on!
As winter is rapidly approaching, and less-desirable weather is just around the corner (bleh!), it can feel a little daunting to think “what now” with exercise—especially if you are used to spending a lot of time outdoors with your yard or garden, or walking/biking/hiking, etc. I know, at least for me, I have to work harder to keep up with motivation as the days are getting shorter, and the weather is changing.
It’s so easy to get caught up in the ‘excuses’ of what the winter months bring, and let those excuses drive your decision-making. Sometimes, the best thing you can do is just jump in, decide to make a change, and just do it.
I know it’s easy for me to sit behind my computer and write a big “you rah rah” message about finding that motivation and just making it happen. Secretly, I’m ALSO hoping that these ideas might make that motivation come a little quicker, and get you thinking about what you can do to make this winter a great one for your health!
Make a plan
- If I ever write a book one day, it's going to be something along the lines of planning haha! I think in every single blog I've written for Fort HealthCare, there's been a blurb in there around planning. Having a plan is so much more than just a few ideas written on a sheet of paper. A good plan takes time, thought and effort. Remember these "tips" when making a plan:
- Goal Setting - Having a goal is like having a destination, and the plan is your map. Have little goals along the way, and one (or more) big goals that are meaningful.
- Calendaring - With your plan, use your calendar to map out days and times that are good for exercising, meal planning, grocery shopping, squeezing in meditation, etc. Don't forget about factoring time for travel too (something I ALWAYS forget when looking at going to the gym or the grocery store).
- Be realistic - If you have 37 meetings in a day, it may be harder to find time (and energy) to exercise that day. Decide to do something different that day that will benefit your health (mindfulness, meal planning/prepping, taking a break) and decide on a different day - be honest with yourself and give yourself the best chance to succeed.
- Rewards - I love working towards a goal, and it's so fun to have a little bribery *ahem* REWARD waiting for you. Keep it fun, and light and preferably... not a night out at a buffet because that may set you back. Think: Workout clothes or classes, a spa day or nail appointment, a new book, fun day out (zoo, movie, etc.) or whatever floats your boat.
Dress For The Weather
- I am a bit of an anomaly and do my best running in the winter months. As much as I am a summer girl through and through, I have always enjoyed layering up and going outdoors to enjoy the quiet, cool and less drenched-in-sweat runs in the winter. It might sound silly, but the fresh air is SO refreshing and it almost instantly rejuvenates you as you spend time outdoors. There is beauty in the fresh fallen snow, the wildlife prints in the snow... hey, I'm trying here! The way I see it, it's one of those things that we can't change it, so we might as well embrace it!
- Layer up - When spending time outdoors, make sure to add layers so as you warm up, you are able to keep a comfortable body temperature. Many different clothing brands advertise that they help keep the heat in, and are moisture-wicking, so you can be outdoors longer and with less discomfort.
- Sunscreen - It seems silly, I know, but the sun is still shining and you can still have skin damage, even in the cold.
- Good shoes - Fall prevention is key - make sure to wear sturdy shoes with good support and good, solid bottoms to keep you safe as you are out and about.
- Most things in life are better with a friend or significant other. As your friends/coworkers/significant other to join you to the gym, to the pool, or even on a walk. Having someone with you will keep you accountable and it will help make the time go faster, and with (hopefully) some laughter and fun!
- Sometimes, you just can't do it -- you can't leave the house because the weather is wicked, or the couch has claimed you as its own (hey, it's real!). There's some great opportunities at home that you don't even have to take off your sweats or comfy clothes, but you can still feel like you're doing something in the right direction.
- There are a TON of different and fun workouts that are for all different fitness levels available for free.
- Same as above -- free, free, free! The video will likely show you the correct form, and do the workout with you so you don't feel alone.
- Ah yes... the infamous workout DVD/VHS. Hey, these are great resources that can be done at home, in your pjs, and will help you get your sweat on.
- There are a lot of great streaming options available that can be pulled up digitally on your phone or TV, and many are fairly inexpensive. Some great options out there are Beachbody On-Demand, Peloton, Crunch Live (I need to do a little more research on this one) and a bunch of others!
Winter can be tough on the wellness front, BUT, with a little bit of creativity, a plan and a positive attitude, this CAN be your year and your winter. Keep pushing on and making it happen!
Until Next Time!